16/03/2012 14:30Every horse in Derby has his merits
This season's Mercedes-Benz Hong Kong Derby is ready to rock and roll on March 18th. Three top rated four-year-olds namely Sweet Orange, Zaidan and Fay Fay, each has merits and demerits. It's quite different from last year, as Ambitious Dragon was certain to win.
Sweet Orange surprised us with a win in the Hong Kong Classic Mile and later in the 1800-metre Classic Cup, where he was beaten into second place by just a short nose by Zaidan. So, there is no concern for him stepping up in distance but since he is more like a back-finisher, draw, pace and riding tactics matter a lot to his performance - especially draw 10 now in the race.
Zaidan was impressive in the Classic Cup. Although he never raced in a 2000-metre event, he finished in the first three in all his three starts over 1800 metres this season. Compared to his sprint results, he hinted that he is a better horse in long distance. However, he may be compromised by a wet racetrack due to recent rain.
Fay Fay, another popular rising star this season just like Sweet Orange, has scored four straight wins over 1600 metres. But he was in the frame rather than the actual winner in the last two group races, one of which even added 200 metres. Will he possibly unveil a new dimension with Whyte on board?
Horses with rather low ratings usually draw little attention, but this year it has changed. Real Specialist at the bottom ran his first race this season less than two months ago, which was the last meeting in January and the Classic Mile was already over. It should be impossible for him to be pitched on. Even his trainer Size will likely have been amazed as he still ran the horse a week before the Derby. But all these incredible things can't deny the extremely sharp form of Real Specialist, who hasn't been out of the top two in all four starts this season. Clearly, he is a dangerous presence capable of upsetting the group.
All in all, contenders are well-matched this year and it's hard to say who will be the winner. All will be revealed at the right moment!
The above content and information are the personal views and/or opinions of each individual writer and do not represent the views of The Hong Kong Jockey Club and/or its subsidiaries (together, the "HKJC"). The content and information are provided by the writers solely for entertainment purpose only and should not be construed as a suggestion for anyone to place any bet nor should they be taken and/or relied upon as advice of any kind.
RM Baby was the host of my HKJC Racing Master Game, and she is now expanding her experiences to different entertainment and enjoyment available in the racecourse, sharing every valuable and exciting moment with all the horse racing fans, and reporting the latest news on different horse racing events.
- Who deserves to be No.1?
- AEROVELOCITY should compete overseas
- Second Legs of the Series Determine Star Horses’ Fate
- Cheer for our local squad
- November – A series of remarkable races
- Surprising Season Opening MV
- Highlights of the new season
- I have changed favorites
- Overseas Races Hold the Key to Horse of the Year
- Special eyes on the Derby runners
- For the Glory, For the Future
- Remarkable moments in 2013
- Tension Builds Up for the Upcoming key races
- Champion horses at overseas and Hong Kong races
- Surprises From the Beginning of the Season
- Last question in Champion Awards
- Hong Kong runners to go “military” in overseas races
- Famous connections witness the APQEII Barrier Draw
- Michelle Reis shines through the French Window
- Racing and Fashion
- Striking upcoming races
- Can BLACK CAVIAR extend her winning record?
- Hong Kong racing's 2013 hot topics
- Triumph comes to those who never give up
- Exciting atmosphere extends to Mid-Autumn Festival and National Day
- What Racing Fans Need every year…
- Rounding Up the Season
- Voting of the Horse of the Year starts to wriggle
- Home Grown Stars Perform Well
- Strengthen the overseas adaptability of our runners
- A Fruitful Month
- The No.1 in Hong Kong racing is…
- Wish you a Merry Christmas and a bright New Year
- Battle of the Winners
- Put all eggs in one basket or not?
- Hong Kong representatives more active on international stage
- Cheer for our stars
- Are You Ready?
- Betting in the iPhone Way
- Chasing for Racing
- Seize Our Day Finale!
- Get Bonus on Hong Kong Reunification Raceday
- Getting an up-close look at the beauties
- Returning "Home" After Wandering for 160 Years
- Rock & Race
- Get a Lucky Horse Coin Pouch